What Are Porcelain Laminate Veneers and How Can You Benefit from Them?
The health of your teeth and your gums is of utmost importance—if your teeth or gums are in poor health, you can experience issues not only with eating, but also with other parts of your body. But the look of your teeth can’t be dismissed. A healthy-looking smile can boost your self-confidence. This is why many people choose to get porcelain dental veneers.
What Are Porcelain Dental Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are custom-made shells that are designed to cover the front surface of a tooth. These shells are wafer-thin and are bonded to the tooth, which allows the shape, color, size, or length of the tooth to be changed.
What Are the Benefits of Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers provide a number of benefits. The following are a few of the major benefits that you can enjoy by getting porcelain veneers:
- Porcelain veneers can cover up aesthetic flaws. If you have a tooth that is chipped, broken, uneven, or irregularly shaped, then you can cover it with a porcelain veneer so that it looks like a normal tooth.
- Porcelain veneers can close gaps. If you have small gaps between your teeth, then you can attach porcelain veneers to these teeth to fill in the gaps.
- Porcelain veneers can cover up discoloration. The flexibility of ceramic allows porcelain veneers to be customized to match the color of your teeth. This means that if you have a tooth that is discolored, you can cover it with a veneer that makes it look like the rest of your teeth. Tooth discoloration is not uncommon and can be caused by all kinds of things, including excessive fluoride and stains from tetracycline.
- Porcelain veneers are extremely durable. Other dental veneers are available, such as veneers made of composite resin. However, composite resin veneers require a lot more maintenance than porcelain veneers because they can chip. Porcelain veneers will not chip. They require very little maintenance beyond regular brushing and flossing and can last upwards of 25 years.
- Porcelain veneers don’t require alterations. Because porcelain veneers can be customized to fit your tooth, you won’t have to have your teeth altered like you might have to if you get a crown.
- Porcelain veneers can help reshape your gums. In addition to covering up flawed and stained teeth, porcelain veneers can be used to reshape your gums. People who have a gummy smile—that is, large gums and small teeth—can reshape their gums through cosmetic dental surgery and then get porcelain veneers to make their teeth bigger, thereby making their gums and teeth look more proportionate.
- Porcelain veneers are resistant to stains. Unlike other types of veneers—and unlike your natural teeth—porcelain veneers will not stain, which makes them a popular alternative to teeth-whitening procedures.
- Gum tissue tolerates porcelain. Unlike other materials, porcelain won’t affect your gum tissue, so you won’t develop any problems associated with your veneers.
- Porcelain veneers can improve your self-confidence. It’s worth emphasizing that by improving the look of your smile by getting porcelain veneers, you can improve your self-confidence. Knowing you have a great-looking smile will certainly make you smile more often!
As you can see, there are many benefits to dental veneers—specifically, dental veneers made from porcelain. For more information about getting porcelain veneers, contact us at Manuel Stefan Dental Care today.