Give Your Smile a Boost with These Tips
A beautiful smile is more important than you might think. You will make a better impression on the people you meet if your teeth are in good shape. Not to mention that it’s not all about how people perceive you—it’s also about how you perceive yourself. Knowing you have a great smile can be a huge boost to your self-confidence with a prosthodontist in Orlando, which is extremely important to your mental health.
These are a few of the reasons why you should go see a prosthodontist in Orlando if you need to have your teeth fixed. However, there are also a number of things you can do as well to keep your smile in good shape. The following are a few tips for doing just that:
- Drink lots of water – Water helps to remove food debris and bacteria from your teeth and from your mouth. Tap water is actually the best type of water to drink because it contains fluoride that will help to protect the enamel on your teeth. Some bottled waters do not contain any fluoride at all.
- Brush and floss daily – Brushing and flossing your teeth on a daily basis (you should brush at least twice a day) will help to remove plaque from your teeth. If you don’t brush or floss, plaque will build up and turn into tartar, which can cause periodontal disease. Periodontal disease will, in turn, result in bone destruction and tooth loss—two things that do not add up to a healthy looking smile.
- Use a teeth whitening toothpaste – Certain kinds of toothpaste contain ingredients that specifically help to remove stains from your teeth. Such toothpaste is not difficult to find as they tend to advertise this fact.
- Have your teeth cleaned professionally – A dental hygienist can perform a thorough teeth cleaning to remove plaque, tartar, and stains from your teeth. Not only will your teeth look much better, your mouth will be much healthier overall. It’s a good idea to get a professional teeth cleaning twice a year.
- Be careful with certain liquids – Liquids such as coffee, tea, and red wine may be delicious, but they can all stain your teeth over time. That’s not to say that you should avoid them altogether if you enjoy them. Just try to limit how much of it you drink, and if it’s possible, rinse your mouth out after you’ve had coffee, tea, or red wine. You should also try to reduce the amount of sugary drinks you consume. While they may not stain your teeth like coffee, tea, and red wine, they can contribute to the buildup of bacteria and the decay of your teeth due to the sugar content.
- Don’t smoke – Smoking can have a number of consequences when it comes to your oral health. First of all, it stains your teeth. People who smoke regularly often have a yellowish tint to their teeth. This tint can sometimes be polished off, but in other cases, it can soak into the enamel of your teeth. Smoking will also damage your gums and can cause them to recede, making your teeth look bigger and creating dark spaces between them.
- Improve your health – Living a healthy lifestyle can have a big impact on how your teeth look. This is because conditions such as obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes can all affect the appearance of your smile.
Use these tips to keep your teeth in good condition and to preserve your incredible smile. Though, keep in mind that one of the best ways to keep your smile healthy and beautiful is to visit a specialist. If you are in need of a prosthodontist in Orlando, be sure to contact us at Dr. Manuel Stefan today.